Nowadays an international artists and craftsmen’s colony carries on the tradition of the Bohème in Bois-le-Roi and in the Fontainebleau country. Like their predecessors they find an inspiration to their creativity in the calm and beauty of the place, “this setting frame between the river Seine and the forest” according to Alfred Roll, one of them.
- FELICJA LAMPRECHT
- CANDIDE RIBEIRO-REIS - Art Caster in Bronze
Interviews to come:
- Stained-glass craftsmen
- Graphic artists
in Bois-le-Roi and the Fontainebleau region.
Painter, Copyist, Restorer of paintings and painted and gilt sculptures.
Felicja Lamprecht was born in 1986 in Gorzów Wlkp, Pologne, she lives and works in France since 2010 and settled in Bois-le-Roi in 2018.
She first studied music and was awarded a Diploma in Piano Studies at the National School of Music W.J. Ciesielski, Gorzów Wlkp, Poland. She still composes for the piano
She then studied drawing and painting in the Władysław Jagiełło Studio at the Cultural Centre Zbigniew Siwek Grod in Gorzów Wlkp, Poland, and went on studying in the Scientific Department of the College Tadeusz Kotarbiński Gorzów Wlkp.
In 2011 she was awarded a Master II in Fine Arts with Highest Honours by the Leonard Torwirt Examination Board at the Nicolas Copernicus University of Toruń, Poland, in the Conservation and Restoration Branch with a specialisation in paintings and painted sculptures following an Erasmus programme in Paris in 2010 at the Panthéon-Sorbonne Paris 1 University.
Felicja mostly paints in oil and studies the Old Masters’ techniques in copying their works, which is of paramount importance for restoring them. Although she would like to dedicate herself full-time to her own works, the restoration of wall paintings has become one of her passions allowing her to bring together her knowledge of architecture with that of the Old Masters’ techniques. She works in a group of French restorers specialised in the restoration of works of art in religious buildings such as among others, in Paris as part of the Direction des Affaires Culturelles, the COARC or Conservation des Œuvres d’Art religieuses et civiles, and the DECH or Département des Édifices cultuels et historiques, under the aegis of the Ville de Paris :
- Ten side chapels in Notre Dame Cathedral
- The Holy-Angels Chapel by Delacroix in the St. Sulpice Church, and the Pietà in the Church of St-Denys of the St-Sacrament
- The Saint Anne Chapel in the St. Eustache Church
- The mural decorations in the St-Clotilde and St. Merry churches
Other prestigious places in Paris where Felicja worked:
- The Elysée Palace, restoration of painted wooden panels in the Cabinet of the President
- The Louvre Museum, The Etruscan Room
- The Mazarine Gallery in the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, restoration of gilt plasterwork
- The Orléans Chancellery, Hôtel de Rohan, Archives Nationales
- The Amphitheatre of the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts
- The Jean Baptiste Lully college, wall paintings of La Mer and La Terre
- Gare de Lyon, the Restaurant Le Train Bleu and the Salle des Fresques
Her work as a restorer allows her to travel and discover places of memory and history:
- Château de Versailles, Salle du Sacre
- Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte, Salon des Muses de Charles Le Brun
- Château du Grand-Lucé
- Asnières sur Vègre, Manoir de la Cour, painted wall coatings
- Boulogne sur Mer, Basilica of Our Lady, six chapels
- Poncé sur Loire, St-Julien Church
- Chemillé en Anjou, Church of Our Lady
- Vertuzey, St-Gorgon Church
- Montigny-l’Allier, the Chapel of the Old Commandery of Moisy
- Autun, The St-Lazarus Cathedral, Chapels Charvot and Champallement
- Revigny, the Parish Church of the Assumption
- Les Arques, St Andrew Church
- Jandun, the Parish Church of Our Lady
- Château-Gontier, Church of St-John the Baptist
- Saint-Laurent- du-Maroni, Guyana, Cell 2 of the Transportation Camp, graffiti
- Surré, Heinen farm
- Pelplin, Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, altar in gilt and painted wood by Herman Han
- Toruń, Basilica Cathedral of St. John
- Toruń, Stairs of the Fine Arts Faculty
- Toruń, Icons
- Kcynia, Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin
- Skępe, Monastery of the Cistercians
Felicja has taken part in several Salons and Exhibitions, such as at the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Paris, the Salon d’Art of the ADAC at the Espace Maison Blanche in Chatillon, the Salon des Artistes Scéens in Sceaux Old Town Hall, the Exhibition Gorzów – Friendly City, 740 years of Gorzów Wlkp, Poland, and she has been awarded several Honours.
A solo exhibition of her series of paintings of the Camargue, Pink Flamingos, will be organized.
Videos on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/@amisdemoreaudetours
Episode I online : Peintre-Copiste-Restauratrice-Compositrice
Episode II to come : Les Flamants roses. Le Nombre d’Or dans l’art et la musique
Art Caster in Bronze
CANDIDE BRONZE D’ART-PARIS
Candide Ribeiro-Reis was born in 1964 in Porto, Portugal. He lives and works between Vitry-sur-Seine where are the studio and showroom of his firm CANDIDE BRONZE D’ART-PARIS, and Bois-le-Roi where he opened an Art Foundry in 2021.
Candide comes from a prestigious family of Smiths and Bronze Casters from Porto, Portugal, created by his grandfather Candido in 1933. His father José settled in Paris in 1959 for political reasons, and worked as a Smith-Bronze Caster for the Christofle firm becoming an expert in light fittings in bronze.
As heir to this great lineage Candide participates of this dual family tradition. Until the age of fourteen he learnt his craft in his grandfather’s studio in Porto and that of his father in Paris. He then studied at the École Boulle and at the École Supérieure des Arts Appliqués Duperré, and holds a Diploma from both.
During ten years he worked in the oldest and most prestigious art casting studio in France, the Fonderie Suisse created in 1758 in Paris, counting in its catalogue the most eminent artists, such as Bourdelle, Brancusi, Maillol and Carpeaux. In 1994 in order to carry on the family tradition Candide opened his own studio, CANDIDE BRONZE D’ART-PARIS, where he combines century-old traditions with modern techniques better suited to contemporary art
After more than thirty years of experience in bronze statuary, he diversified his field of activity in undertaking the restoration of works of art. Thus he restored the bronze sculptures of Molière and of the actor Constant Coquelin at the Maison de Retraite des Artistes du Pont-aux-Dames, founded by Coquelin in 1903 in Couilly-Pont-aux-Dames. It was built in the Art Nouveau style and was listed in the Supplementary Inventory of the Monuments Historiques in 1990. Candide has also created a range of Bronze Furniture and Light Fittings under the label Candide Création.
Candide has been awarded many prizes and participated in prestigious creations.
- 2002 Prix de la Dynamique Artisanale
- 2006 Realization of Komitas, a six meters high memorial monument to the Armenian genocide by the artist David Erevantzi, Cours Albert 1erà Paris
- 2009 Label Entreprise du Patrimoine Vivant (EPV)
- 2011 Prize Stars et Métiers, Chambre des Métiers et de l’Artisanat
- 2012 Charter Qualité Performance délivered by the Chambre des Métiers et de l’Artisanat
- Trophy Trésor Vivant de l’Artisanat, Promotion Faubourg Saint-Antoine
- Exhibition in London in Harrods of the first collection of Bronze Furniture and Light Fittings
- Prize of the Artisanat d’art, Rotary Club of Paris
- Exhibition for the second consecutive time at the Salon Révélations – Grand Palais, Paris
- 2016 CANDIDE BRONZE D’ART-PARIS Label Entreprise du patrimoine vivant (EPV)
- Prize De Main de Maître, Confédération Française des Métiers d’Art
- Exhibition of bronze furnture, Art Entranse Gallery, Paris
- Exhibition Salon Révélations – Grand Palais, Paris
- International Salon of Arts and Crafts in Munich, under the aegis of the Chambre des Métiers d’Art du Val-de-Marne, as part of the twinning with the Dresden Chamber of Arts and Crafts in Germany.
- Salon d’Automne, Champs Élysées, Paris
- Salon De Main de Maître organized by the Confédération Française des Métiers d’Art, de l’Excellence et du Luxe (CFMA), in partenership with the Chambre des Métiers et de l’Artisanat de Paris as part of the Journées Européennes des Métiers d’Art, JEMA 2
- 2019 Salon International du Livre Rare et de l’Objet d’Art, Grand Palais, Paris
Videos YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/@amisdemoreaudetours
Episode I online : Fondeur-Bronzier d’Art
Episode II to come : Vitry-sur-Seine
Episode III to come : La coulée du bronze à Bois-le-Roi, le 9 juin 2023